“Just baby step it; don't think 'Where do I need to be in 30 years,' think about 'where do I need to be in the next year or two to set myself up.'"
– Michael Bradley
Michael is the President & Owner of M3S Networking, a small business that focuses on dynamic problem-solving, particularly with startups and small businesses. He Started out at the Naval Academy, after which he served for seven years as a submarine officer. After his transition from the Navy, he spent two years working on a spy satellite job with the National Reconnaissance Office as an Acquisition/Project Officer. Michael is also the Chairman of the Navy Nuclear Power Officer Career Conference (NUPOCC), a career fair helping veterans transition from the military or find new jobs- those of you who have listened to Episode #55 with Ashley Snyder will remember this as the organization that she credited with landing a job at Google directly out of the Air Force. Finally, he's a husband, dad of 3 boys and is a credentialed baseball media member.
The top three reasons to listen to today’s show are:
- Work / life balance - I don’t think this is talked about enough, but Michael does a really good job discussing how to factor this in to your career path & decision.
- Career fair - those of you who listened to Episode #55 with Ashley Snyder remember how she went directly from the Air Force to Google because she attended a veteran organized career fair… well Michael is the one who runs that career fair. It’s free, it helps a ton of vets… I’d go so far to say that NUPOCC is advantageous to veterans in a way that comes at Michael’s expense. Check it out - it’s really great and I know all of you listening on active duty or who have recently transitioned would benefit from it.
- Startups - Michael has started two different companies, and has great advice on starting small.
Audible is offering one FREE audio book to Beyond the Uniform listeners. You can claim this offer here, and see a list of books recommended by my guests at BeyondTheUniform.io/books
- NUPOCC - Arlington, VA & Pearl, HI, Bremerton. Events. Google, Palantir, Facebook, Blue Origin, JP Morgan (~20 companies). Grad Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford. High end candidates, high end companies and schools, high end venues. $2-3k table fee - get list of candidates & phone numbers
- Service academy career conference - https://sacc-jobfair.com/
- Related podcasts you may enjoy
- Ashley Snyder - Ashley went from the Air Force directly to Google, and attributes NUPOCC for playing a big role in that transition
- 1:58 - Michael's background, from the Naval Academy and Submarines into starting his own company
- 3:00 - Michael's experience a baseball media member; it may not generate a lot of money, but it gets him into Pittsburg Pirate games
- 5:29 - Michael's decision to leave the Navy and how he approached this decision
- 7:30 - Michael's experience in the Navy Reserves, and his advice on how to best take advantage of the IRR
- 10:38 - The highlights of Michael's journey from leaving submarines until today
- 14:00 - Michael's thoughts on work / life balance, and what advice he would give to fellow veterans
- 18:20 - An overview of the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Officer Career Conference (NUPOCC)
- 29:43 - Who can attend the NUPOCC conferences (hint: Michael will never turn a veteran away from an event, so contact him)
- 32:45 - A few common mistakes that Michael sees veterans make in the career transition to civilian life
- 41:30 - How Michael started M3S and advice he would give to other veterans seeking to work for themselves or create side income
- 46:00 - Michael's final words of wisdom