"We always say that you earn while you learn in this business. So even though we were both full-time active duty when we started this business, you can really build it into the nooks and crannies of your life, while just learning the process. Because there are people who are willing to hold your hands so that you can walk and then run in this business."
- Samantha Allen
Ray and Samantha Allen are both 2009 Naval Academy Graduates. After graduation, Ray went to flight school & became a Navy Helo pilot while Sam became a Marine.
Samantha served as a Marine for 5 years at Marine Special Operations Command (2nd MSOB) and weapons training Battalion. Ray is an HSC pilot now instructing at the Naval Academy.
The two live in Annapolis, MD with their three daughters, and have been building their business together for four years.
Why to Listen:
- Direct marketing / network marketing - this is an often criticized & misunderstood space, but may be a great match for many veterans, as it:
- Is a people business (where vets typically thrive)
- Is a business with training wheels (you get the support and mentorship you need as you grow)
- Has a strong sense of community (which vets often miss post-service)
- Includes a sense of purpose (which vets also miss post-service)
- Has a lot of autonomy (to afford a flexible lifestyle)
- Working with Spouse - if you're considering working with a significant other, they've got great advice.
- Self-learning - they include a TON of incredible resources to check out, and the motivation to go with it
- StoryBox - People trust each other more than advertising. StoryBox provides the tools and supports businesses need to take the best things customers say about them, and use them to drive more sales and referrals. StoryBox offers a 10% discount to companies employing veterans of the US Armed Forces.
- Audible is offering one FREE audio book to Beyond the Uniform listeners. You can claim this offer here, and see a list of books recommended by my guests at BeyondTheUniform.io/books
- 4:00 Ray and Samantha's background
- 4:47 - How would you explain to someone on Active Duty what LifeVantage is?
- 7:58 - How did you both get started working with LifeVantage?
- 12:00 - What was the starting point like?
- 14:54 - When you first started what was the time commitment?
- 17:16 - How do you spend your time today on LifeVantage?
- 22:15 - How long does it take to make an income from Direct Marketing?
- 26:30 - What is residual income and how do you make residual income in Direct Marketing?
- 35:05 What are negative things that you hear about Direct Marketing and how do you respond to this criticism?
- 38:08 - How is it working together as a husband and wife team, and what advice do you have for couples thinking of working together?
- 41:51 - What resources - books, programs, websites - would you recommend to someone considering direct marketing?
- 49:20 - What advice do you have for a veteran considering entrepreneurship?
- 55:05 - Final words of wisdom?